Wednesday 15 May 2013

Diabetes Blog Week: Day 3 - Memories.

Today we are going to share our most memorable diabetes day. You can take this anywhere...you or your loved one's diagnosis, a bad low, a bad high, a big success, any day you would like to share.

My first diabetes anniversary (March 29th 2011) was the best! It was a big milestone for me, having worked through diagnosis, got my hba1c down, accepted the situation, to an extent. But what made it memorable for me was the fact that my housemates, whom I'd only known since September 2010, knew how big a deal it was, and therefore made a big deal out of it. There was dinner and cake and we went out (we're students -- any excuse for a night out!)  

I felt happy, like really happy, for the first time in a while. Not that I wasn't happy before, of course. But my housemates made me realise just how far I'd come in a year, and that was a really big thing for me: these people who I'd only known for a handful of months took it on themselves to learn about my diabetes as I learnt about it. They made it seem like the most normal thing in the world. They learnt how to check my blood sugar, they weighed out my food for me so I could then match my insulin to what I was eating, came with me to hospital appointments. They weaved diabetes into their lives almost as much as I was learning to weave it into mine. 

So, on March 29th 2011, when I got back from uni, I was greeted with dinner, cake and comments of "you made it through the first year!" Definitely my most memorable diabetes day. 

9 comments:

  1. You have wonderful friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Thanks for your comment! I'm pretty fond of them! I've been reading your D-Blog Week posts! Until I read your post today, I didn't know you could schedule posts either! Good to know for the future, so thank you for that!

      Delete
  2. What great housemates! Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Thanks for your comment! They're pretty great. Not sure why I got so lucky, but I'm not complaining! I look forward to reading more of your D-Blog Week Posts! Your post for yesterday was brilliant! I'm so in favour of blue M&Ms!

      Delete
  3. Great to have such awesome friends like that who helped you celebrate your diaversary! And congrats on celebrating your 3rd not so long ago! Here's to many more happy memories of future diaversaries down the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! I think it's important to "celebrate" your diaversary. Helps you to remember how far you've come!

      Delete
  4. This is so cool, Vicki! :) Love that they learned how to check your blood sugar and everything as well (superstars!). Really uplifting post from you as per <3 xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're gonna start getting big headed with all this praise, haha!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....And some of her friends still buy diet drinks even when there is 4000+ miles apart. It really is woven in.

    ReplyDelete