Thursday 18 July 2013

Conversations.

One of my Mum's best friends is the manager of a charity shop near to where I live. For as long as I can remember, she's been my "Auntie" B. Except when she pisses me off, in which case she's just B. We've always been really close, but even closer since her son was diagnosed with type one diabetes a year or so ago. I can't remember how old he was at the time, but he's in his twenties, so he's an adult diagnosed with type one. I went to go see her today, but forgot that she had jury service, and ended up in conversation with one of the ladies that works at the shop. I can never remember her name, but I know she's from Scotland, so in the conversation below, I'm gonna refer to her as the Scottish Lady (or S.L for short!)

*     *     *     *     *

Me: Hiya! Is my Auntie B in today?

S.L: Not today, love, she's got jury service.

Me: Oh, I forgot about that. Not to worry!

S.L: So how are you keeping, love?

Me: I'm good thanks, you?

S.L: I didn't know you had The Diabetes too. Like B's little boy. ("The Diabetes" capitalised as that's how I saw it in my head after she said it!)

Me: Auntie B's boy isn't exactly little anymore! He's got a fiancee and two kids! And yeah, I have diabetes.

S.L: But look at you! You look so......so......well.

[Now, S.L is a little old lady, bless her, so I bite my tongue and continue the conversation]

Me: Thank you.

S.L: Can I ask you something personal......?

[Dreading where this is going]

S.L: ......Do you do injections in your bottom?!

Me: [laughing] No, no I don't do injections in my bum!

S.L: Ok...I was just wondering.

[Why she was pondering this I don't know and I was too afraid to even ask!!]

S.L: Why can't B's boy be like you?

Me: Well, people handle things differently, and it takes time to adapt to things. That, and he has a lot more to handle. I have just me to think about. B's boy has a fiancee and two little'uns at home.

S.L: I guess. I just don't understand why he can't sort 'imself out. 

Me: He will. Just give him some more time. His life's quite erratic so there are more factors to consider with his diabetes management. And he can quite clearly remember a time when he didn't have to worry about all the crap that comes with diabetes. 

S.L: I guess. Well, at least he's got you. You're living proof that you can control things. And that's good for him.

[Her last comment took me by surprise and I didn't quite know what to say]

S.L: Right, love, I need to serve this customer. Take care!

Me: Ok. Have a good day! Bye!

*     *     *     *     * 

Whilst walking the rest of the way home, I thought about what she'd said. "You're living proof that you can control things." Loads of people tell me that I'm doing well. It's almost like a reflex comment when talking about diabetes: "Well, you look well" or "You've got things under control". But this is the first time in a long time where someone has said that to me and I really do have things under control. I'm not omitting my insulin, I'm checking my blood, I'm counting carbs. 

And that felt good.

Really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment