Monday 5 January 2015

Balance.

Balance is what I'm looking for this year. I was looking for it last year too, but the balance I'm pursuing now is a little different. I'm no longer a uni student, for one. So what was a reasonably balanced life is no longer, and I'm on a mission to get that back.

Towards the end of last year, all I did (all I felt like I did) was work. Wake up, go to work, come home, have dinner, go to bed, repeat. At the weekends, I felt like I was playing catch up with emails and stuff and before I knew it, it would be Monday again. That cycle is something I'm looking to stop. Because as happy as I was, as I am, with my job, I wasn't happy with the lifestyle I started leading. I didn't exercise (although part of my journey to and from work is a 20 minute walk), I could hardly keep up with friends and family, I was neglecting my personal email and other online accounts...my work-personal life balance was significantly more work-focussed than I liked.

I'm still not entirely certain what "balanced" will look like for me, but for now I'm trying to live by the following:
Source.
  1. Take care of myself - my health and well being are important for me to get to where I want to be. No neglecting of me, by me. So I will exercise, I will check my blood sugar, I will eat well (and indulge on occasion) and I will blog (because emotional health is just as important as physical health).
  2. Be present - so when I'm with my family and friends, actually be with them. No checking my phone/social media etc.
  3. Say 'yes' and 'no', but to the right things - I'm the kind of person that says 'yes' or 'no' to the wrong things (like agreeing to do overtime at work when I already have plans or turning down a night with my best friend because I'm just not feeling it, often because I've done extra hours at work). This needs to change. I enjoy my job, and I don't mind staying late when it suits, but I shouldn't be bailing on plans to do so. My job is just one part of my life.
It's a starting point, and a do-able one. And do-able is important. Because otherwise I end up quitting before I've even given myself a chance to start. What's the point in that?  

No comments:

Post a Comment