Thursday 27 February 2014

Back To Basics.

I don't know what it is about February, but that seems to be the month where I go back to diabetes-basics. Maybe it's because in January I'm so caught up the whole "this year, I will..." that there's no room in my head for diabetes resolutions too. 

This month, I set myself the target of keeping a paper log of my blood sugars, insulin doses and any relevant notes. We're now nearing the end of the month, and I'm happy to say I'm still keeping a record of things! Although, I have to be honest and say I have found it quite a tedious task, especially knowing that my meter keeps a log of everything. 

But I have most definitely learnt a lot:

1. Exercise definitely makes my blood sugars plummet. 

2. My blood sugars also bottom-out when it's my time-of-the-month.

3. I regress back to a child-state when I colour in with crayons. 

4. Beer is not my friend when it comes to blood sugars, but I like it too much. 

5. I know stress tends to cause my blood glucose to go up, but I didn't realise how significantly until I had a grad scheme interview. Definitely need extra insulin when stressed.

6. Indian takeaway dinner - not my friend either, luring me into a false sense of security when I went to bed on a 6.9 mmol/l to then wake up to a mouth as dry as the Sahara Desert and a blood sugar of 15.5 mmol! 

7. Playtime, however, with my godson is great a lowering blood sugar. Sometimes a bit too much though.

Diabetes: it's a constant learning curve!

No comments:

Post a Comment