Wednesday 7 August 2013

Bites.

Embracing the rain!
Question: if you're reading this, and a person with diabetes, do you find you're more susceptible to insect bites? If so, is there a link between you glucose levels and your chances of getting bitten?! Let me explain!

Yesterday, we went out for my Mum and Dad's anniversary to TGI Fridays and I had the best pudding in the world: chocolate peanut butter pie (which looked a lot like this). It was amazing, and very bolus-worthy! But this did lead to me waking up in the morning with a blood glucose reading of 12mmol/l. Not fun.

I had breakfast, like normal, and added a correction dose to correct that 12 and off my family and I went to Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida. 

Within an hour of being there, if that, I was itching away at three bites on my leg and one on my arm.

By lunchtime there were two more on my back.

And by the time we left I was just immune to the itchiness!

Now, Busch Gardens is an animal park too, so there is that to factor in, but no one else in my family got a single bug bite whilst there. And, since arriving in Florida, I've had no problems until today, and my bloods on waking were high. Is this a coincidence are people with diabetes more prone to bites?!

I've tried looking on Google, and the closest information I can get is from Mike's post on Diabetes Mine and then Reva's post at Type ONEderful, and they both support the fact that diabetics are more prone to insect bites. So at least I know I'm not alone in thinking this!

Ideas, oh great DOC?! 

3 comments:

  1. YES. Seriously I think we are; basically when I was going about my dissertation in the woods if I went on high levels i'd get eaten alive - yet other times I was okay and as a result no bites :) It made me hate doing it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could be onto something here then?! It was literally that one day whilst I was away where insect bites were a problem; the rest of the time, no issues! I wish I could say damn that peanut butter pie, but I can't, lol!

      Delete