Friday 23 August 2013

mySugr.

Home Screen.
If you're not using the mySugr app, I ask you to give it a go. I think it's awesome. And so do a lot of other people (see: Six Until Me, Scott's Diabetes, Everyday Ups And Downs to name a few) Here's why I love the app.

First off, you can name your "diabetes monster". It's the little things that please. Mine's currently called Zurg as I was watching Toy Story 2 when I set it up. And speaking of little things, the sounds on the app are brilliant! Such a silly thing to comment on but something I feel the need to mention!

Second, it's fun. Yes. Fun. It's no secret that keeping a detailed log of blood sugars/insulin doses/carbs consumed is...well...boring. However, this app turns logging those bits of information into a game. And you get sucked in! The more you log, the more points you get. There are also challenges you can do, and if you complete them successfully, you get upgraded to the pro version of the app free of charge for a couple of days. This brings me to my next point.

Data Analysis Screen.
There are two versions of the app: free and pro. I personally think that the free version of the app is sufficient enough. The pro version gives you some extra features such as the option to add photos to records. However, for me, the basic version logs more than enough (time, location, blood glucose (in both mmol/l and mg/dl), carbs (in exchanges or grams), bolus, basal, activity duration and description, notes and finally you can tag things such as meal time, how you're feeling, sports/travel/work.) I told you it logged more than enough!

The data analysis the app offers is pretty amazing too. The home screen gives you an overview of the last 24 hours, changing colours according to how your day's going (green is good, amber if you're slightly out of range and red if you're really out of range). It also allows you to see the average and standard deviation for the last 24 hours, 7 days and 14 days. Awesome.

Challenge Screen.
The last thing I want to comment on is the open "notes" boxes. Brilliant. Drop down lists never work with something as complicated as diabetes: there are far too many variables, so I find having the "notes" box to type in extra information so much more useful!

Finally, all of this is searchable! Just tap the magnifying glass on the home screen, type in what you want to search for and away you go. Genius!

Disclaimer: I have not been paid by mySugr to write this review. I heard about it, I read about it, I downloaded it, I loved it, nothing more.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention, Vicki, and for the awesome review of the app! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott, and congratulations on your Athletic Achievement Award! Well deserved!

      Delete