Tuesday 30 April 2013

Happy 5th Birthday, Circle D!

www.circledrocks.co.uk
Today marks Circle D's 5th birthday! (Yay for Circle D!) So today's post is honour of my friend Shelley, co-founder of Circle D, and all the work she does to keep thr group running.

Circle D is a group for diabetics and their motto is simple: you are not alone. Since the group started on April 30th, 2008, other Circle D groups have been popping up all over the country, and their Facebook page is constantly getting more and more "likes"! The group tends to meet monthly alternating between a "Rant Room" session, where we sit round and moan/chat/celebrate whatever we want and then a social which, over the last five years, has ranged from bowling to dinners to pub nights to picnics!

I've been part of Circle D more or less since diagnosis, and I don't know where I would be without it. It means a great deal to me, as I'm sure it does to many others. Along with the Diabetes Support Forum, it was my first source of support. I knew no one with type one when I was diagnosed, so hearing about Circle D and finding out that it was a whole group of other diabetics who knew what I was going through...that was pretty great! And it was based in my hometown (Kent, as I was living with Mum and Dad at the time), which was just a bonus as it actually meant that I could go and talk to people face-to-face, not just online. It's safe to say it's a pretty huge part of the diabetic-side of my life!

So, happy 5th birthday, Circle D! Here's to another five years of support! Thanks for everything! And thanks to Shelley, for reading my timid first post on the forum and then telling me about this group of hers! I can't imagine not being part of such a lovely community. I look forward to seeing you at whatever event takes place when I'm back in the UK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment