Thursday 28 November 2013

Giving Thanks.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." - JFK.

Retiro Park, Madrid.
I know that Thanksgiving isn't an English holiday, but since I started university in 2010 and lived with an American exchange student, it's something I have acknowledged every year since then.

I love the concept of Thanksgiving; the whole taking time out to actually reflect on what we're thankful for. Let's be honest, how often do we actually take the time out to do that?! I know I don't, and I really, really should, as I have a lot to be thankful for: my family, my friends, my health (yes, I know I have diabetes, but I still have my health!), access to healthcare and prescriptions, I could continue, but I won't bore you with my list.

Instead, I ask you to do something. This evening (or morning, or afternoon, depending on where you are in the world) take some time out to think about what you're thankful for. Maybe even tell someone you're thankful for them. How you go about it is up to you. But just because Thanksgiving is an American Holiday, there's no reason why we can't, or shouldn't, "take part" too.

Whoever you are, where ever you are, I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment